How to Care for your Engraved Wooden Cutting Board
We are often asked how to care for our wood cutting boards. Here is a little bit of insight into keeping your wooden cutting board looking its best!
Keep Your Wooden Cutting Board Looking Its Best
Hint: These steps will work on any of your wooden kitchen utensils as well ;)
You'll need the following:
Your wood cutting board of course! (or wood kitchen utensil)
A clean, soft cloth or paper towel
Bloxstyle Handcrafted Wood Butter, Food Grade Mineral Oil, or Wood Conditioner
- Before starting, make sure your cutting board is as clean as possible and thoroughly dry.
- Using a clean, soft cloth or paper towel, apply the wood butter in an even layer over the entire wood surface.
- Let the wood butter soak in, overnight if possible, or for a couple of hours. (You can also reapply until the wood stops absorbing the oil.)
- Remove any remaining wood butter with a clean dry cloth or paper towel.
- Enjoy your rejuvenated wooden boards!
Check back soon for more blog posts, on caring for your wooden cutting board!
Things to remember:
- Hand wash only, do not soak or submerge your cutting board in water.
- Monthly use of a wood butter is recommended. We do offer Handcrafted Wood Butter in our shop, but there are also plenty of recipes available if you feel up to a little chemistry. Use of wood butter will extend the life and enhance the beauty of all your wood.
- Our engraved boards are designed to be displayed on the engraved side, but are fully functional for cutting, chopping, and slicing, on the reverse.
- Never put wooden boards in the dishwasher! Probably the worst thing you can do to the life of a wood cutting board. It will cause your board to split and crack and once it has, it will never be the same.
- Do NOT use olive or vegetable oils, as they turn rancid quickly.